Converting the default instance store Fedora 14 to EBS

Jay Greguske jgregusk at redhat.com
Thu Nov 4 17:58:12 UTC 2010

Jan,

Personally I would avoid snapshotting a running instance. Doing so brings in a bunch of run-time caches and temporary data that you really don't want if you're trying to produce a fresh, pristine image. Of course if you're doing this for personal fun then you can ignore me. :)

But for releasing future Fedora AMIs though I'd suggest a procedure as follows:

1. Build the disk image like usual*
2. Upload the disk image to a running instance
3. From within the instance dd your disk image to an EBS volume
4. Snapshot and register that volume as an AMI

That way you've got an EBS-backed, pristine, never-before-booted image in EC2.

- Jay

* There may be some changes to the image to support EBS backing, specifically in fstab and grub.conf so you're mounting and booting from the right volume(s).