fedora-14-x86_64-S3.ec2: AMIs with instance-store root device not supported for 't1.micro' ???

Brian LaMere brian at cukerinteractive.com
Tue Nov 9 18:50:51 UTC 2010

On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 2:12 PM, sean darcy <seandarcy2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 1:23 PM, sean darcy <seandarcy2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Amazon has started offering a year free trial: Ihttp://
> aws.amazon.com/free.

(snip)
 > Supposedly the Micro instance in the free trial supports both 32 and 64
bit:

Just to clarify - the 32bit/64bit part has nothing to do with what is not
working.  Amazon has two options for the mounted filesystems; EBS, and S3.
 They made a decision for some reason that the micro size would only be
available to EBS-backed AMIs - which is odd, considering that a micro should
be the most throw-away, and ebs is more permanent than S3.  The Fedora AMIs
are currently only available as S3-backed images.  Those will be converted
to EBS soon, however - at which point you'll be able to use the micro
instances with the official Fedora AMIs.

Does that makes sense?  The error message you got gave this answer, but was
cryptic - and we can't really get in the business of helping construct
ec2-run-instances commands, and interpreting the results - that's a bit
outside the scope of the group, I'd think (you'd have the same result if you
were running that command on a solaris workstation, to build an ubuntu
instances; it's not Fedora on the Cloud-related). You should try euca2ools
anyway, works better ;)

Brian LaMere