CloudFS feature proposal

Jeff Darcy jdarcy at redhat.com
Mon Nov 15 14:52:25 UTC 2010

On 11/13/2010 11:50 PM, Pete Zaitcev wrote:
> See, my agenda was to ask next if Jeff's CloudFS had enough
> consistency to back a block device emulator and thus displace
> Speepdog, which I see as too ad-hoc. Now if Jeff himself prefers to
> package RBD (RADOS), then this may be an admission that CloudFS is
> not up to it.

On the first point, I believe the answer is that yes, GlusterFS can
support block devices via loopback, and I know of several sites using it
that way. It could probably be improved somewhat, as BTW could the
loopback driver which somebody broke a while back by making it single
thread per device.

On the second point, I wouldn't say that CloudFS is "not up to it" so
much as that CloudFS is not designed for it. It can handle that need
*adequately*, and if a user/provider wanted to limit the number of
different storage technologies in play (a reasonable goal IMO) then that
would be the way to go. However, CloudFS is all about the "multi" -
multi tenant, multi site, etc. - with all of the coherency issues
implied by that in a world of complex namespaces and non-block-aligned
access. Sleepdog or RBD, which don't have to worry about any of that,
can and should take advantage of the simpler requirements to perform
better in that particular situation. I don't even know that GlusterFS
would "lose" in the performance comparison I had suggested to Steven a
while back, but whether it would or not isn't particularly relevant to
CloudFS's goals.

As with the comparison to Ceph, the real issue is balancing a user's (or
provider's) need for operational simplicity with their need for
optimality of each component. If they want to keep things simple, I'd
propose using just GlusterFS/CloudFS with block devices via loopback. If
they want to differentiate themselves with higher performance for
virtual block devices, at a cost in complexity (including complexity for
"secondary" functions such as backups) then they could augment that with
RBD or Sheepdog.