Hey Cloud SIG, let's start talking about F15.

Chris Lalancette clalance at redhat.com
Mon Oct 25 13:10:03 UTC 2010

On 10/22/10 - 11:50:25AM, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
> We are just a few weeks away from the Fedora 14 release, and actually
> having a new version of Fedora on EC2.  This has been *the* major goal
> over the past, well, 10 months since this list was created, and I'm
> delighted that it is finally coming together. (Thank you, Justin, for
> doing all of this work, and everyone else who has been working on
> supporting his efforts and helping out with behind-the-scenes stuff
> like talking to Amazon and writing documentation and asking
> questions!)
>
> Of course, this is Fedora, and I know a lot of us are thinking about
> *what we can do next*.  So I'd like to have a discussion here on our
> friendly mailing-list about some of the things we'd like to do in F15
> (and beyond!).
>
> First off: We have a lot of stuff in the pipeline that I think we
> could submit to the Feature List for Fedora 15. What is this "stuff,"
> you might ask?
>
> * OpenStack - We already have the Swift portion of this in, and Nova
> is in the pipeline. (Thanks, silassewell.) http://www.openstack.org
> * Deltacloud - I'm not sure how far along this is, or if it's possible
> that this could be fully in for F15, or if there are clearly definable
> portions that could be F15 features.  Anyone from Deltacloud - can you
> pipe in here? :) http://deltacloud.org/

Yeah, this is definitely do-able.  Rapid development is ongoing, but there
are preliminary packages that work here:
http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/deltacloud/.  We have started submitting
most of those packages for Fedora.  A few of them still need reviews complete,
and a few of them still need to be packaged.  There is a single package in
our required package list that is problematic, which is the RPM of ec2 tools
from Amazon.  We don't believe that the license is open enough to allow us
to package/re-distribute it in Fedora (though we have not talked to lawyers
about it, so we could be wrong).  Other than that getting deltacloud into
Fedora 15 should be doable.

> * BoxGrinder - Marek Goldmann is working on packaging.
> http://www.jboss.org/boxgrinder
> * Eucalyptus - obino has been looking for some mentorship as far as
> packaging goes. If there are folks around to help out with this, I
> think it would be awesome to have as a feature.  Is anyone willing to
> help out here? http://open.eucalyptus.com/
> * Sheepdog - Steven Dake is working on this. http://www.osrg.net/sheepdog/
>
> Additionally, we probably have further enhancements we could make on
> the EC2 front - namely, having really awesome documentation, which
> Sparks has been poking the list on since he'd love to help us out
> there. What other EC2-related enhancements are there for us to tackle?
>
> But what I am interested in is - what do YOU guys think about what we
> could, or even *should*, be doing? Are there other cloud tools,
> implementations, projects, etc. we should be looking at?  What are
> they? What should Fedora's ongoing cloud-sig focus be?

We (deltacloud cloud engine) have some plans to implement a different kind
of cloud image building agent, one that should work for building any kind of
operating system (Linux, Windows, etc).  In effect it could just be another,
more generic plugin for boxgrinder.  Additionally, we are planning on
introducing the ability to start with a cloud image, and modify that cloud
image to come up with a new image based on the original.

All of this is just in planning stages, so we don't have any code yet.  But
we are hoping to have something to show for this before the Fedora 15
timeframe.  We'll keep you guys informed of progress as we work on it.

--
Chris Lalancette