[RFC] CUDCon - Cloud conference to parallel FUDCon

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Tue Aug 23 06:28:23 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-08-22 at 15:33 -0700, Karsten Wade wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 04:47:07PM -0400, David Nalley wrote:

> > I like the idea of a CUDcon - but if it were me (and it clearly isn't,
> > I am doing no work on this.) I think I'd shoot for a standalone
> > conference, once a year, and before it's even announced I'd get some
> > significant buy in from the folks at places like Gluster, Euca,
> > OpenStack, Ceph(Dreamhost), CloudFoundry, etc, so that they will show
> > up and participate.) To my knowledge there's no cloud-focused open
> > source conference, and it's a niche that done right should draw lots
> > of folks.
>
> OK, thanks, that's definitely one of the potential solutions.

David's suggestion feels right to me too. There are a lot of open-source
cloud projects working away in their own silos. I think there would be
huge value in getting those communities together. You won't achieve that
with a Fedora/RHEL/Red Hat centric event.

This would be an event with a similar intent to the Desktop Summit -
bring complementary and competing communities together so they can both
meet peers within their own community and have exposure to other
communities.

Cheers,
Mark.