F15 EC2 Test Day Rescheduling

Max Spevack mspevack at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jul 28 03:23:30 UTC 2011

On Wed, 27 Jul 2011, Tim Flink wrote:

> How long do we want to wait for the koji produced AMIs? I thought that
> there was talk of just using the BG AMIs for F15 and the koji produced
> AMIs should be ready for F16.
>
> I ask because QA would like to get the F15 EC2 test day done before
> the F16 test days start picking up. We would like to get the
> announcement (with AMI ids) out by 8/1 and have the test day done by
> 8/4.
>
> Is this going to be possible? If it isn't, how long do we want to wait
> before giving up on the idea of a F15 EC2 test day and just start with
> F16?

According to https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Schedule the Alpha of F16 is
due out on Aug 16.  I agree that it would be useful to do F15 testing in
advance of that, but that once F16 Alpha is out, that should probably be
the first priority, IMHO.

Here's some factors to consider:

Do we have a generalized AMI test plan that is applicable for both F15
and F16?  If so, where is it and do we have any history of previous
AMIs that have been run through that test plan and how things went?

Do we have any official QA resources from the Fedora QA group, or is the
QA that we do entirely on volunteer time?

If we find bugs, how much developer bandwidth is available for the
fixing of them, and what do we predict the release cycle of AMIs
can/will be throughout the F16 cycle?  Just because we have an Alpha,
Beta, RC, Gold of F16 doesn't mean we can only build an F16 AMI 4 times.

We need an F16 AMI QA schedule.  We need to know if that schedule
includes any guaranteed QA/rel-eng/developer resource time.

My apologies if any of the above is redundant.  I'm still early in
jumping in on the Fedora Cloud SIG, compared to other parts of Fedora
that I've been following more closely recently.

--Max