F15 EC2 Test Day Rescheduling

Garrett Holmstrom gholms at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jul 28 04:23:16 UTC 2011

On 2011-07-27 20:27, Max Spevack wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jul 2011, Jay Greguske wrote:
>> Koji builds the images fine, we're stuck at uploading and registering
>> them as EBS-backed AMIs currently.
>
> Can you give more information about this bug?  What is the process by
> which issues like this are being debugged and investigated?

While I can't say for sure what the current hangup is, I can tell you
what makes the process so difficult:

Uploading an EBS-backed image is somewhat more convoluted than uploading
a regular image because you have to boot up a virtual machine inside
EC2, create a virtual disk to install Fedora onto, copy the contents of
the entire image over the Internet onto that disk, and then create a
snapshot of the disk.  Registering it is rather quick and painless, but
until euca2ools-1.3.1-12 (which is on its way to updates-testing for all
releases and EPEL) one had to write a custom script to do it.

The fact that BoxGrinder automates this entire process is the reason so
many people recommend it.