Fedora S3 Backed AMIs

Hugh Brock hbrock at redhat.com
Thu Jul 28 18:16:01 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 01:57:20PM -0400, Andy Gospodarek wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 09:42:57AM -0700, Garrett Holmstrom wrote:
> > On 2011-07-28 8:36, Tim Flink wrote:
> > > As I'm learning more about EC2 and AMIs, I'm wondering what the plans
> > > are for Fedora S3 backed AMIs.
> > >
> > > If I'm understanding correctly, an S3 backed AMI has no persistent
> > > storage - once the instance is rebooted, all changes are effectively
> > > reverted. This would mean that applying updates to an S3 backed AMI
> > > would be a questionable process and any updates requiring a reboot
> > > would be impossible.
> >
> > Instance storage of this sort does not go away when instances are merely
> > rebooted.  It is only destroyed at instance termination time.
> >

> >From the limited testing I've done using Amazon's Web Console it seems
> like typing 'reboot' or 'shutdown -h now' does seem to terminate the
> instance.  Am I doing it wrong?

Amazon has deprecated S3 backed instances at this point. And yes, they
are non-updateable (without respinning the base image).

--Hugh

--
== Hugh Brock, hbrock at redhat.com                                   ==
== Engineering Manager, Cloud BU                                   ==

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m
not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
--Robert McCloskey