owncloud packaging?

Steve Gordon sgordon at redhat.com
Tue Jun 14 02:07:08 UTC 2011

Hi guys,

Apologies I haven't been able to attend the meetings since we changed the timeslot, I am sure you have all gotten on fine without me and my limited input though ;). I am currently evaluating ownCloud ( http://owncloud.org/index.php/Main_Page ) and am wondering if it is worth putting on the roadmap in Fedora somewhere down the track.

I'm a bit dubious about how much of a 'cloud' tool this really is but that said I can see the benefits, particularly once they get integration with consuming applications which are already packaged going. There is also nothing to stop end users setting it up in such a way that it is a true cloud tool backed by redundant storage either - just that the current examples I can find all appear to be throwing it up on a single VPS.

If you want to try it out you can get a free, basic (albeit old stable release) of it setup on packagecloud (Warning, referrer link: https://www.packagecloud.com/?au=owncloud), this is what I have done for now. I'm currently evaluating the development version in a VM at home to see what has/hasn't changed, unfortunately it really seems like a bit of a chicken and egg thing though as I don't think it will improve much in utility until they get the apps support sorted but I can see they are working at that. Note that it has a webdav interface as well as the HTML UI so you can access it using nautilus, firefox, etc.

Thought I'd throw it in the ring and see what people think anyway. The developers appear to hang out in #owncloud on FreeNode if people want to ask them questions.

Cheers,

Steve