owncloud packaging?

David Nalley david at gnsa.us
Fri Jun 17 17:02:54 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 10:07 PM, Steve Gordon <sgordon at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Apologies I haven't been able to attend the meetings since we changed the timeslot, I am sure you have all gotten on fine without me and my limited input though ;). I am currently evaluating ownCloud ( http://owncloud.org/index.php/Main_Page ) and am wondering if it is worth putting on the roadmap in Fedora somewhere down the track.
>
> I'm a bit dubious about how much of a 'cloud' tool this really is but that said I can see the benefits, particularly once they get integration with consuming applications which are already packaged going. There is also nothing to stop end users setting it up in such a way that it is a true cloud tool backed by redundant storage either - just that the current examples I can find all appear to be throwing it up on a single VPS.
>
> If you want to try it out you can get a free, basic (albeit old stable release) of it setup on packagecloud (Warning, referrer link: https://www.packagecloud.com/?au=owncloud), this is what I have done for now. I'm currently evaluating the development version in a VM at home to see what has/hasn't changed, unfortunately it really seems like a bit of a chicken and egg thing though as I don't think it will improve much in utility until they get the apps support sorted but I can see they are working at that. Note that it has a webdav interface as well as the HTML UI so you can access it using nautilus, firefox, etc.
>
> Thought I'd throw it in the ring and see what people think anyway. The developers appear to hang out in #owncloud on FreeNode if people want to ask them questions.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Steve

Hi Steve,

Yeah I think owncloud is a SaaS-cloud app - or at least could be (in
the same vein as fpaste and status.net are SaaS-capable apps).

I am actually surprised that one of our KDE-sig members who hangs out
in the Cloud-sig *cough*rrix hasn't packaged owncloud already, since
owncloud originated in KDE.

I'll volunteer to review it if you or someone else packages it.

--David