Request for OpenNebula to be included

David Nalley david at gnsa.us
Mon Mar 14 19:22:19 UTC 2011

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 9:51 AM, Jaime Melis <jmelis at opennebula.org> wrote:
> Hello,
> I've posted recently a similar request to the main epel list and I have been
> referred to this group. I'm an OpenNebula [1] developer, an we would like to
> include OpenNebula in EPEL. To do so we would like to ask if there's anyone
> interested in being a maintainer of the package. We (upstream OpenNebula)
> would be very involved in this project, being co-maintainers. We would
> provide upstream fixes, and testing.
> We have a working version of a spec file that works in Fedora 14 and in RHEL
> 6. However I believe it can be greatly improved by someone with expertise on
> RPM packaging.
> [1] http://opennebula.org
> Regards,
> Jaime Melis
> --
> Jaime Melis, Cloud Technology Engineer/Researcher
> Major Contributor
> OpenNebula - The Open Source Toolkit for Cloud Computing
> www.OpenNebula.org | jmelis at opennebula.org

Hi Jaime:

So the process that's typically found is that someone who cares enough
to start doing the work will submit a spec and RPM to bugzilla
(http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/Join ). If that
person isn't already a packager they'll need to be sponsored. Perhaps
someone will stand up from the message here, but generally Fedora (and
by extension, EPEL) tends to be a scratch your own itch kind of place.
As such, it's probably going to fall to you to at least start the
work.
I am not a packaging sponsor, but I can help you navigate the
packaging guidelines and handle some reviews, and perhaps help you
find a sponsor.

Let me know if I can help,

David Nalley