Kickstart a Fedora (Anaconda) Install on EC2

Raphaël De GIUSTI raphael.degiusti at guardis.com
Fri Mar 18 09:42:22 UTC 2011

It seems to be happening when launching micro instances, as memory is low
(about 600M)
Launching it as a small instance, anaconda is executed, but there seems to
be a problem related with dbus :

Greetings.
anaconda installer init version 15.20.1 starting
mounting /proc filesystem... done

(process:1): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_hash_table_lookup_extended: assertion
`hash_table != NULL' failed
creating /dev filesystem... done
starting udev...done
mounting /dev/pts (unix98 pty) filesystem... done
mounting /sys filesystem... done

(process:1): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_hash_table_lookup_extended: assertion
`hash_table != NULL' failed
anaconda installer init version 15.20.1 using /dev/hvc0 as console
trying to remount root filesystem read write... done
mounting /tmp as tmpfs... done

(process:1): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_hash_table_lookup_extended: assertion
`hash_table != NULL' failed
running install...
running /sbin/loader

%Gdetecting hardware...
waiting for hardware to initialize...
detecting hardware...
waiting for hardware to initialize...

** (loader:49): WARNING **: Couldn't connect to system bus: Failed to
connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory

http://ftp.esat.net/mirrors/download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/test/15-Alpha/Fedora/i386/os/images/pxeboot/
> and I'm getting this error :
>>
>> root (hd0,0)
>>
>> Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
>> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-PAE
>> initrd /boot/initrd-PAE.img
>> ERROR: mmu_update failed with rc=-22
>> Do_exit called!
>> base is 0x26617ba8 caller is 0x45c87
>> base is 0x26617bd8 caller is 0x50336
>> base is 0x26617c38 caller is 0x504c0
>> base is 0x26617c88 caller is 0x506a3
>> base is 0x2661fd08 caller is 0x479d7
>> base is 0x2661fd48 caller is 0x5613b
>> base is 0x2661fd58 caller is 0x54698
>> base is 0x2661fd98 caller is 0x55a79
>> base is 0x2661fde8 caller is 0x55811
>> base is 0x2661fe08 caller is 0x3b0c
>> base is 0x2661fe38 caller is 0x3bc4
>> base is 0x2661fe48 caller is 0x7af7
>> base is 0x2661fe58 caller is 0xa243
>> base is 0x2661fe78 caller is 0xfe69
>> base is 0x2661fef8 caller is 0x10489
>> base is 0x2661ff68 caller is 0x3eb2
>> base is 0x2661ff78 caller is 0x4729d
>> base is 0x2661fff0 caller is 0x31ad
>
> I just wondered where it does come from ?
> Any idea ?
>
> 2011/2/8 Raphaël De GIUSTI <raphael.degiusti at guardis.com>
>>
>> So if we put aside how the kickstart would be generated, what would be
the starting point in all of this ?
>> I was working with Centos55 when I made it to the partitioning phase (and
I don't really know why it went wrong), but I couldn't even get the F14
kernel to load.
>> In other words :
>> - Which fedora kernel / initrd combination should I use in my grub.conf ?
>> - Should any of those two be altered in any way ?
>> I'm also willing to put some time in it if I may be useful... but like I
said I'm no expert.

>>> roles change, updates happen frequently, and I'd rather a machine spin
up with the latest packages.  I've always found that updating a pre-built
machine is slower, sometimes substantially so, than just building a fresh
image with the newest rpms.
>>> That said, some roles can (and often should) be fairly rigid and slow to
be updated.  But there's not much less of a need for flexible, dynamic
builds in the cloud than there is in a local server room; do you build all
new local servers based on a pre-built image that you just replicate?  Would
seem to negate the purpose of a kickstart server ;)
>>> Brian