Live Cross-Cloud Migrations With Aeolus and Snap

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri Nov 4 09:59:39 UTC 2011

On Thu, Nov 03, 2011 at 09:17:55PM -0400, Mo Morsi wrote:
> See the following step-by-step guide (complete w/ screenshots ) [1]
> that I threw together on how to use Aeolus and Snap [2] to migrate a
> running instance between two separate cloud providers with no
> downtime (demonstrated is EC2 / rackspace but this will work to/from
> RHEV-M or any other cloud provider supported by aeolus/deltacloud
> [3])
>
>   -Mo
>
> [1] http://mo.morsi.org/blog/node/347
>
> [2] https://github.com/movitto/snap
>
> [3] http://incubator.apache.org/deltacloud/drivers.html#h2

You mention in the blog posting that you can restore to another Linux
distro.  But would this really work?  How about if there were two
different Apache versions, each with a slightly different
configuration syntax?  Or more plausibly, two different PostgreSQL
versions (PG's on-disk format is not compatible across some version
changes).

Rich.