Live Cross-Cloud Migrations With Aeolus and Snap

Mo Morsi mmorsi at redhat.com
Fri Nov 4 12:44:05 UTC 2011

> On Thu, Nov 03, 2011 at 09:17:55PM -0400, Mo Morsi wrote:
>> See the following step-by-step guide (complete w/ screenshots ) [1]
>> that I threw together on how to use Aeolus and Snap [2] to migrate a
>> running instance between two separate cloud providers with no
>> downtime (demonstrated is EC2 / rackspace but this will work to/from
>> RHEV-M or any other cloud provider supported by aeolus/deltacloud
>> [3])
>>
>>    -Mo
>>
>> [1] http://mo.morsi.org/blog/node/347
>>
>> [2] https://github.com/movitto/snap
>>
>> [3] http://incubator.apache.org/deltacloud/drivers.html#h2
> You mention in the blog posting that you can restore to another Linux
> distro.  But would this really work?  How about if there were two
> different Apache versions, each with a slightly different
> configuration syntax?  Or more plausibly, two different PostgreSQL
> versions (PG's on-disk format is not compatible across some version
> changes).
>
> Rich.

Ah ya, I mentioned in the post that it was theoretically possible but I
hadn't tried it out yet. Obviously the implementation details between
distros and operating systems would need to be ironed out, but Snap
already has mechanisms to make these distinctions and has support for
abstract snapshot targets with os-dependent backends tightly coupled to
the implementation details of those systems. We would just need to
expand upon those, encapsulating package and service metadata in the
snapshots.

   -Mo