OpenStack in EPEL

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Fri Sep 2 01:37:28 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 01, 2011 at 07:48:33PM -0500, R P Herrold wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Sep 2011, Matt_Domsch at Dell.com wrote:
>
> > Quick show of hands: who cares about seeing OpenStack be in EPEL?
>
> > Now, before I go any further:  who is with me?   Is there pent-up user demand for OpenStack on RHEL, or service providers who are loyal to the RHEL family who would benefit from having the packages in EPEL?  Or do we expect most OpenStack users to simply use Ubuntu/Canonical or a Citrix distribution thereof?  I don't want to push packages that are likely to go unused.
>
> I anticipate using it and drilling it into pmman, probably
> writing the needed connectors.  But I think that Enterprise
> will probably have this anyway.  Are there not 'exclusion
> because in the main distribution' issues likely?

A distinct possibility, but AFAICT, Red Hat has declined to
participate in OpenStack directly so far, which is well within their
rights (and perhaps strategy).  I'm not too concerned though - it has
happened over time that packages move from EPEL into RHEL proper,
there are procedures in place for such to ensure a smooth upgrade path
for users/customers, should Red Hat choose to do so.

I hadn't realized that Grid Dynamics did the original packaging for
RHEL; Mirantis picked it up for Fedora, then Mark and I, and now Angus
Salkeld have made improvements from there.  Time to re-merge with the
GD work before we get too far apart to make that clean, and to get
everyone working towards the same goal from a unified tree.

--
Matt Domsch
Technology Strategist