collateral/postcard for openstack conference next week

Robyn Bergeron rbergero at redhat.com
Mon Apr 16 12:53:27 UTC 2012

On 04/13/2012 07:13 AM, Robert Kukura wrote:
> On 04/13/2012 09:48 AM, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
>> Okay, so:
>>
>> Because Ruth is awesome (HI RUTH!) she took a swag at putting together
>> some of the input from here:
>>
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Cloud_Marketing_Collateral/OpenStack_in_Fedora
>>

>> And turned it into this:
>>
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/File:Clouddraft1side2.jpeg
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/File:Clouddraft1side1.jpeg
>>
>> I think it is a 5x7 postcard-style/weight piece.
>>
>> It's still pretty drafty but seeking comments/edits (a lot of this was
>> copied verbatim).
>>
>> My main ... not concern, but, well.. we're in this awkward spot where
>> things are done for the Essex release, but F17 itself isn't actually
>> out, so I'm not sure if it's appropriate to pull in Quantum, Keystone,
>> Horizon into the top set of bulletpoints.  (That said, I haven't looked
>> to see if Essex is also available now for F16, which might make this
>> less of a conundrum.)
> F16 is staying at Diablo, but Essex is available for F16 now via a
> preview repository (see the test day wiki). I think emphasizing Essex
> and all its components would be a lot more compelling.
>
> For Quantum, I'd suggest something like:
>
> * Quantum: A virtual networking service with a REST interface and
> pluggable back-ends. The Essex release supports Open vSwitch, Linux
> bridging, and a variety of virtual networking controller technologies.
Okay, check out the below bits and see if this makes more sense - I cut
out the "new in F17" and changed it into additional features, added your
quantum bit, and noted that it was available for F16 as a preview.

I didn't note that F17 is still in beta since it's technically
downloadable and usable, and also it would probably be helpful to just
be able to use these cards for the duration of F17, since we're heading
into summertime conference season.

-robyn

OpenStack and Fedora

OpenStack is a widely supported, open source suite of components for
provisioning public and private IaaS cloud platforms.  The latest
release, Essex, is available for both Fedora 16 (as a preview) and
Fedora 17. With OpenStack and Fedora, you'll find:

* Nova: A service to manage virtual machines, including stopping,
starting, and live migration.  Fedora support for libguestfs increases
the variety of virtual machineimage formats you can manipulate.

* Glance: A virtual machine image registration service, providing a REST
interface to image caching and tretrieval.

* Swift: An object storage service akin to Amazon's S3 service.

* Quantum: A virtual networking service with a REST interface and
pluggable back-ends. The Essex release supports Open vSwitch, Linux
bridging, and a variety of virtual networking controller technologies.

Additional features
     * An included dashboard self-service and administration UI
     * Open vSwitch available for use by Quantum (this line may be
redundant with above?)
     * Simplified dependencies with Qpid as the messaging transport
     * Upstream-supported libguestfs integration
     * Optimized handling of VM images to minimize time and disk space used
     * KVM support for booting from ISOs and better control over disk images
     * Separate admin and volume APIs in Nova
     * Optimized image transfer and progress info with Glance

Additional details about using OpenStack with Fedora:
     fedoraproject.org/wiki/OpenStack

Learn more about Fedora:
     join.fedoraproject.org

Get involved with the Fedora Cloud Special Interest Group:
     fedoraproject.org/wiki/Cloud_SIG