Packaging of noVNC and Websockets

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Apr 26 08:04:28 UTC 2012

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 04:08:41PM -0400, Adam Young wrote:
> Dan B suggested a few things that I'd like to record here:
>
> 1. Is there a need to create a novnc user with an empty home dir to run in?

Unless there's a compelling reason for it to run as root, then I'd say
this is a must-have - particularly given the horrible behaviour you
describe wrt browsability of arbitrary filesystem paths.

> 2. The python code should be made into a site-package.

More completely my suggestions would be

 - Anything in /usr/bin must have  a 'novnc-' prefix - names like 'web.py'
   'rebind', etc are faaaaaar too generic to be going in /usr/bin.
 - Some of the python is both a command line tool & library module.
   The latter should really go into python site-lib
 - The entire thing needs integrating with autotools, or python
   distutils, so that upstream defines the correct install
   procedure. Without this everyone just reinvents installation
   in a different way.
 - As you say if nova-vncproxy is truely nova specific, it has no
   business being here - it should be in the openstack nova GIT
   repo and RPMs. If it is not nova specific, then it should be
   renamed to remove the 'nova-' name prefix

In terms of code bugs, rebind.c needs to be fixed to work with IPv6 too

Daniel