Where is the admin's directory?

Eoghan Glynn eglynn at redhat.com
Mon Aug 13 08:43:32 UTC 2012

> I'm following;
>
> Red Hat Essex Preview
> Lab Guide
> Red Hat Summit - 2012 Edition
> http://fedorapeople.org/~russellb/openstack-lab-rhsummit-2012/
>
> to set up OpenStack, Essex, on Fedora 17
>
> I'm stuck here:
> Now that an admin user has been created, that account can be used to
> administer keystone. To make it easy to set the admin user's
> credentials in the proper environment variables, create a
> keystonerc_admin file with the following contents ....
> http://fedorapeople.org/~russellb/openstack-lab-rhsummit-2012/ch02s02.html
>
> Where shall I create the file keystonerc_admin?  Where is the admin's
> directory?

You can put it anywhere you like, note that the keystone admin user is not
necessarily tied to an individual system user (in which case the RC file
would naturally live in their home directory). Instead this is an openstack
identity that a system user assumes by sourcing the keystonerc_admin file.
It may be that a single system user sometimes adopts an admin role, and
other times uses openstack as a non-admin user. Or that a group of system
users share the role of openstack admin. Or whatever. Just put the file
somewhere that's only accessible to the system users that are allowed to
be admins.

Note that there is an unrealistic aspect to this tutorial ... in practice
you may be more leary about leaving passwords in text files, in which
case the password can be re-typed for each individual command line or the
OS_PASSWORD env var set manually per-session. For the tutorial, its just
more convenient to dump it into a file.

Cheers,
Eoghan