cloud and firewalld

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Thu Dec 13 14:35:22 UTC 2012

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 09:58:04PM -0800, Garrett Holmstrom wrote:
> How much memory does firewalld actually use on F18 when it has
> nothing to do?

16MB? That's not the end of the world, but it's bigger than anything else
running in the cloud image. (In fact, excepting dhclient, it's bigger than
*everything else put together*.)

> At what point should we become concerned about how
> much memory a process is using?

I don't have a magic number, but I think we want to be concerned about all
resource waste, because it does add up.

> Does the "no firewall" case still work, at least?  EC2 recommends
> images with *no* default firewall since they use security groups to
> control traffic, and adding a second, guest-level firewall tends to
> confuse people.

The current situation is that it works, but only by removing stuff in
kickstart post.

> Should the F18 release image explicitly target clouds other than
> EC2? *Can* it?

Yes, but I think we'll end up with two different kickstarts. (The EC2 image
won't need grub, for example.) I'm open to just leaving it off for the EC2
image in specific.