yum-cron in the cloud images?

Troy Dawson tdawson at redhat.com
Fri Dec 14 14:05:06 UTC 2012

On 12/14/2012 06:58 AM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> Should we apply updates automatically in the cloud images? I like the idea
> of keeping people protected against security vulnerabilities. Because of
> how updates in Fedora work right now, it's also possible that an update will
> break things. (We'd certainly need a large amount of testing of things like
> updates to cloud-init, which apparently can make huge incompatible changes
> going from 0.7.0 to 0.7.1.)

Fedora based images ... no.  I vote no.

It's frustrating enough on a local machine when an update goes wrong.
But on an Amazon machine, you have no console during bootup.  So if
something is going wrong during bootup ... you're out of luck.

> Amazon Linux does automatic updates (both at first boot and periodically).

Amazon Linux is based off RHEL, not Fedora.
I don't have a problem with RHEL based OS's doing automatic updates.

Troy