yum-cron in the cloud images?

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Fri Dec 14 15:18:39 UTC 2012

On Fri, 14 Dec 2012, Matthew Miller wrote:

> Should we apply updates automatically in the cloud images? I
> like the idea of keeping people protected against security
> vulnerabilities. ...

I would recommend against it, as you run the risk of breaking
instances for people not living within the four corners of the
package management system

As a comparison with 'real history,' SKV had a 'this
distribution is EOL' tool as well, and I believe abandoned the
tool, because people do not WANT to be automatically protected
;)

I am not against having a 'nag' function:

 	1. at deploy and each start time, see if there is a
recipient set for the 'root' owner, and as necessary, prompt
with a wizard to configure one, or to decline it

 	2. check timestamps and as the results of the wizard
imply, nag

 	3. optionally change /etc/issue to nag

 	4. extend to taste

-- Russ herrold