image formats

Garrett Holmstrom gholms at fedoraproject.org
Tue Dec 18 04:57:47 UTC 2012

On 2012-12-17 10:48, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Matthew Miller (mattdm at fedoraproject.org) said:
>>> VHD and VMDK might also be useful formats.
>>
>> Yeah. As I understand it, CloudStack uses different formats depending on the
>> hypervisor used, right?
>
> Is it best to produce one image and scripts for post-processing it into the
> appropriate formats, or to simply produce them all?

Unless the various formats are fundamentally different, if we're looking
for portability then I'd be inclined to teach people how to package a
common format like a raw filesystem image into something cloud-specific,
then publish the common format.  If there's enough space/time/demand
then it could also be worth publishing multiple formats to make things
more convenient.

--
Garrett Holmstrom