yum-cron in the cloud images?

Garrett Holmstrom gholms at fedoraproject.org
Tue Dec 18 06:04:01 UTC 2012

On 2012-12-16 10:21, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 06:02:01PM -0800, Garrett Holmstrom wrote:
>>> What if we did security updates only, by default? (Right now, yum-cron
>>> doesn't support this, so it'd be a F19 feature.)
>> I'd be okay with this (or even an all-kinds-of-updates version) if and
>> only if it becomes the default for the whole distribution.  A cloud
>> image is even less well-suited to automatic updates than a desktop or
>> server, and if we can't justify it for those cases, it definitely
>> doesn't belong here either.
>
> Well, with the desktop, there's theoretically someone who will see GUI-based
> "updates available" notifications and apply them. I'm happy to make the case
> for security updates for the whole distro, though. (For F19+.)

Sure, but a cloud instance isn't a desktop.  It isn't really even a
virtual server.  Cloud instances are disposable -- you service them by
replacing them, not by updating or changing them.  This is different
from the other kinds of systems that the distribution targets, and
automatically updating instances breaks that model.

Simply put, if we're building a cloud image then I would like to see
that image's default behavior match the way cloud applications generally
work.  Since a Fedora image should still be Fedora, I can certainly live
with automatic updates if the rest of the community disagrees with me,
but when we target a new platform like the cloud I believe we ought to
encourage habits that are appropriate for it rather than encouraging old
workflows that can make managing stuff in the cloud more difficult.

Those are my two cents, anyway.

--
Garrett Holmstrom