future of Boxgrinder ... building cloud images

Mo Morsi mmorsi at redhat.com
Tue Dec 18 16:31:22 UTC 2012

On 12/18/2012 11:15 AM, R P Herrold wrote:

> I think those 'cloud' working groups are solving the wrong problem at
> the wrong place, [some want JEOS to include a listening sshd, and
> package install tool; others want rsync, or man, or more, or less ...
> the preferences never end and there is no 'right answer']

Not sure if this is on or off topic, but I wrote a tool [1] to demo
deltacloud [2] on fedora-devel [3] a little while back

It uses the same tdl format oz does to setup a specified config on the
cloud. In retrospect, I made the tool too complicated, instead of
manually parsing the TDL, what I should have done is just use Oz once
the instance is setup w/ deltacloud.

If nothing else this would give us a very quick way to test out the
imagefactory templates without waiting for the long and bandwidth
intensive image building process.

If anyone is interested in this please just +1 the idea here (a few
people did so privately in response to this email [4]).

Give me a small team (a coder, tester, packager, and promoter) and I can
make this happen and have it done rather quickly. I can do it myself but
it will take longer as I have committed to other work at the time being.

 (note I will be on break w/ all other US RH associates next week).

  -Mo

[1] https://github.com/movitto/mycloud/blob/master/mycloud.rb
[2] http://deltacloud.apache.org/
[3] http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2012-November/173298.html