yum-cron in the cloud images?

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Tue Dec 18 17:54:06 UTC 2012

On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 09:26:25AM -0500, Andy Grimm wrote:
> > Since a Fedora image should still be Fedora, I can certainly live with
> > automatic updates if the rest of the community disagrees with me, but when
> > we target a new platform like the cloud I believe we ought to encourage
> > habits that are appropriate for it rather than encouraging old workflows
> > that can make managing stuff in the cloud more difficult.
> +1

I think you guys are right for general package updates and bug fixes. But I
don't think cloud is anything particularly new in giving the luxury to avoid
patching vulnerabilities.

I'm not going to change anything now, but I think we need to think about how
to do this. Amazon Linux automatically applies critical security fixes, and
notifies on login of important ones. I'm not so keen on the "on login"
approach, because I think _that's_ the "old workflow".