cloud Digest, Vol 36, Issue 24

Tim Bell Tim.Bell at cern.ch
Tue Dec 18 20:03:51 UTC 2012

I don’t see an image factory approach and a puppet approach as being competitors.

We need to find ways to produce common images for multiple hypervisors in an automated fashion. Booting VMs and then waiting 30 minutes for a yum update (or even worse, waiting an hour for Office 2013 to install) is not exactly elastic computing so a regular run of standard version builds is a key function.

Puppet provides the function to take the base images and create the custom configurations.

Organising up-to-date standard images for the common platforms and then the 'last-mile' via puppet seems efficient.

(I use Puppet as an example, Chef would be equally appropriate)

Tim