AWS VM created with ami-e3a433d9 - ssh times out . .

Philip Rhoades phil at pricom.com.au
Mon Dec 24 08:19:57 UTC 2012

People,

I successfully created a VM with the default AMI image in the Virginia
region and after allocating an EIP, could ssh to it with no problems but
after creating a Sydney VM with ami-e3a433d9 and allocating an EIP,
trying to to ssh eg:

   ssh -i sydney.pem root at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

fails with timeouts . .

I have tried rebooting the VM with no improvement - any other
suggestions?

I am also having trouble with getting Java running on F17 x64 (IcedTea
is installed) so I can't use the Java SSH client either . .

Even though the VM seems to be OK and nmap reports that the host is up
but that all ports are filtered . .

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks,

Phil.