different delivery formats

David Nalley david at gnsa.us
Fri Feb 10 19:49:49 UTC 2012

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 2:42 PM, Dennis Gilmore <dennis at ausil.us> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Wanted to get a discussion started, there has been a few requests
> lately for our ec2 images to be made available for general consumption.
> either for use in a different cloud provider to ec2, or for use at home
> with kvm or private cloud. often the requestors reference
> http://uec-images.ubuntu.com/releases/10.10/release/ im all for making
> fedora easier to consume. I made a qcow2 format image for f17 that came
> in at 610M, i also tarred and xz compressed the f16 ec2 raw disk and
> that came in at 114M the raw disk images are 10G
>
> so the main question here is whats the best way to make them available
> that can easily be consumed by people.
>
> Dennis

Hi Dennis:

So qcow2 works well for KVM - but perhaps providing just a raw image
and allowing folks to use qemu-img or whatever suits their fancy to
work. Of course, if we really want to do all of the work, we should
build raw, qcow2, vmdk, and vhd in addition to the EC2 AMIs.

And to your main question - why wouldn't they be downloadable from the mirrors?