openstack-nova defaults in Fedora 17

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Mon Feb 20 17:04:25 UTC 2012

On 02/20/2012 11:30 AM, Pádraig Brady wrote:
> On 02/20/2012 03:51 PM, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
>> Hey,
>>
>> For OpenStack Essex in Fedora 17, I thought it was worth discussing:
>>
>>   1) Should we switch to the new --config-file format by default? I
>>      think we discussed this briefly before and decided we would. We
>>      should probably go ahead to have it settled in before the test day.
>
> I think it makes sense to do this ASAP.

Agreed.

> I tried and had some issues with it.
> Are there specific commits I could cherry pick,
> or will I wait for essex-4 which is supposed
> to land on March 1st, 7 days before the test day.
>
>>   2) I see we've added support for force_dhcp_release=True; should we
>>      make it the default?
>
> I'm not sure of the implications. It seems dafe enough.
> If the option is just to cater for systems without `dhcp_release`
> then it's fairly redundant, as the availability of that could be
> checked for at startup. Not that it would be the first redundant
> option ever created :)  I'll ask on the openstack list.
>
>>   3) 'root_helper=sudo nova-rootwrap' is the default now, right? All
>>      the test cases still work fine? No user impact?
>
> I ran through most of the test day cases with no issue.
>
>>   4) 'rpc_backend=nova.rpc.impl_qpid' is also the default now? I think
>>       we had some debate about whether we should require any of the
>>       messaging libs by default? Did we come to a conclusion? My
>>       instinct it to require the default lib only
>
> I discussed that with Russell who implemented the Qpid support,
> and he made the point that you might not even want to run the
> qpid broker on the same host as the nova services.
> I intentionally didn't depend on an amqp server for now.

Right, I don't think it makes sense to depend on qpid-cpp-server or
rabbitmq-server at all.  I think Mark was referring to the dependencies
on the client libs: python-qpid, python-kombu, python-carrot.  Depending
on only python-qpid out of those is fine with me.  We should document
how to switch back to rabbitmq/kombu, though since there are so many
docs out there referring to that configuration.

--
Russell Bryant