F17 on AWS EC2

Max Spevack mspevack at fedoraproject.org
Wed Feb 22 00:46:58 UTC 2012

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012, Max Spevack wrote:

> It has something to do with the interplacy between grub and grub2.
> Fedora 16 introduced grub2, which was great everywhere except for EC2,
> because (and now I'm hand waving) PV-GRUB (which EC2 uses) and grub2
> don't (or at the time of F16's release didn't) get along well.

>From
http://www.practicalclouds.com/content/guide/create-your-own-fedora-16-ami-scratch-s3-backed

We need to set up GRUB so that the Amazon Kernel Image can boot into our
new kernel and initial ram disk.  Fedora 16 uses the Grub2 boot loader
by default, but we don't have access to a Grub2 AKI on Amazon AWS so we
can't use it, however, this is not a problem as we can still boot our
Fedora 16 instances from Grub version 1 without any issues."

--Max