Fedora Torrent seeder plans and future

Max Spevack mspevack at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jan 31 04:39:27 UTC 2012

On Sun, 29 Jan 2012, Garrett Holmstrom wrote:

> The original purpose of this thread was to discuss torrent seeds for
> Fedora disk images.  S3 seems like a reasonable way to accomplish this
> with a minimum amount of work, but please don't conflate a solution to
> media distribution and an entire package mirror that will take much
> more resources to run.

You are right that this thread should be about one and only one topic --
S3 as an option for seeding the images.

So let's definitely separate that out and start by putting together a
plan that is limited in scope *only* to what it would take to use S3 as
a bittorrent seeder.

>From what I've seen, this is stupidly easy, to the point where from the
Fedora perspective, I'd think the only arguments would be about using a
non-FOSS web service for an infrastructure project and estimating the
cost, rather than the technical issues, which are pretty close to
negligible.

http://moonbase.rydia.net/mental/blog/programming/saving-money-with-amazon-s3-and-bittorrent.html

http://carltonbale.com/how-to-create-and-seed-a-torrent-download-on-amazon-s3

--Max