Cloud-init on RHEL5 (was: OpenStack status)

Jan van Eldik Jan.van.Eldik at cern.ch
Fri Jul 13 08:28:59 UTC 2012

Hi Padraig, all,

> cloud-init for RHEL (derivatives) was [https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/cloud-init-0.6.3-0.7.bzr532.el6 released] and has received successful testing.
> Also progressing in parallel is a significant [https://code.launchpad.net/~cloud-init/cloud-init/rework cloud-init rework]
> (374 commits as of 27 June) focusing on Red Hat consumability.

This sounds very good, thanks to all who contributed.

Do you know it the cloud-init rework will include support for RHEL5? We
would like to contribute to that, but we are not sure what the best way
forward is.

It seems there are different ways to make cloud-init work under RHEL5:

   - make it work w/ the system python24.
   - make it work w/ python26 from EPEL5

We have a preference for the second option (as it is more
forward-looking), but there may be constraints we have not considered.

How do people feel about this?

          tia, cheers, Jan