OpenStack nova package split

Pádraig Brady P at draigBrady.com
Wed Jul 25 09:53:10 UTC 2012

On 07/25/2012 08:14 AM, Tim Bell wrote:

> How are the other distributions splitting the OpenStack packages ?
>
> Are there benefits in aligning with Ubuntu ?

So I had a look...
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-branches/ubuntu/precise/nova/precise/view/head:/debian/control

That splits nova into 26 sub packages,
which seems a bit excessive to me and
you don't get the space distribution advantage
at that level of splitting for example.

But the important thing is that there are mid level packages
in ubuntu that align fairly closely, with the Fedora proposed split. I.E.

Ubuntu		 Fedora
--------------------------------------
python-nova	 python-nova
nova-compute	 openstack-nova-compute
nova-volume      openstack-nova-volume
nova-network	 openstack-nova-network
nova-cert	 openstack-nova-cert
nova-objectstore openstack-nova-objectstore
nova-api	 openstack-nova-api
nova-console     openstack-nova-console

The last 2 might not map closely, anyway...

I suppose we could rename the new Fedora nova packages to
remove the "openstack-" prefix to minimize mapping config like:

http://www.puppetcookbook.com/posts/packages-with-different-name-per-distro.html

On the other hand there are always going to be
packaging differences like this, and the
config to handle this is well supported and
can be isolated in one place as shown at the URL above.

For example Fedora's openstack-glance corresponds to "glance" in debian.
Also having an openstack- prefix seems a bit more consistent to me.
For example there is the openstack-dashboard package in ubuntu
rather than just "dashboard".

So I'm leaning towards keeping the proposed package naming/structure,
given that the mapping is easy would need to be done anyway?

cheers,
Pádraig.