RFC: Cloud Interop FAD

Garrett Holmstrom gholms at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jun 19 03:55:45 UTC 2012

On 2012-06-18 9:30, Andy Grimm wrote:
> Overall, I definitely like the idea of developing $PaaS on $IaaS
> narratives for Fedora, as we so often see that people using a cloud
> don't architect their apps for a cloud.  Anything we can do to promote
> "proper" cloud apps is a good thing.
>
> I don't know much about Openshift yet, but wonder if the FAD agenda
> should narrow it even more to start with -- I know OpenShift is
> designed to support multiple languages / frameworks, and perhaps it
> makes sense to start with one.  In other words, the FAD goal is make
> sure that Fedora has a full narrative for setting up $IaaS and getting
> all the way to, say, a running Django app.  At that point,
> substituting another framework is probably just a matter of pointing
> to another OpenShift example in github or the OpenShift docs.

I simply used the first names that came to my mind out of the software
that I know is in/on its way into Fedora; it doesn't have to be
OpenShift specifically.  Sorry if it sounded like that.

You make a good point, but I'll take it one further:  perhaps getting
everyone together to craft a single, very complete narrative at the FAD
would provide everyone with a much-needed "whole story" that people can
later tweak to work with different software stacks at all levels.  After
this "initial" work is done it would make it that much easier for people
to come up with good narratives on their own later.

How does that sound to you folks?