Thought on cloud-init vs. first boot

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Mar 8 08:11:45 UTC 2012

On Wed, Mar 07, 2012 at 08:00:34PM -0500, Adam Young wrote:
> On 03/07/2012 12:13 PM, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> >>Agreed that cloud-init and Firstboot won't work together.
> >>
> >>Another thought is that we could modify the live CD image such that
> >>it can better be used as a Virtual Machine.  What we have is fairly
> >>close to that solution already,  so what it would need is:
> >>
> >>1.  An easy way to generate a Persistant store for the /var/ /home
> >>and /tmp directories
> >>2.  An easy way to resize the ISO image to something large enough to
> >>install/update RPMS
> >>
> >>This is obviously a pretty big stretch,  and I wouldn't expect it
> >>could be a F17 task.  It might be the wrong approach, but it would
> >>be worth at least talking through it.
> >>
> >>The EC2 images are pretty much "minimal" installs, right?  I think
> >>that they should continue to be separate from the Fedora appliance
> >>for virtualization anyway. The appliance should be comparable to the
> >>Live CD:  Gnome Desktop and all.
> >I rather disagree here - the appliance images should be JEOS images,
> >exactly like the EC2. For desktop users, the existing Live CD is
> >already a good solution.
> By Desktop,  we mean people running the Hypervisor on their Desktop,
> and importing Fedora Virtual machines.  The Live CD does not support
> that,  as it still requires a full install and reboot to get the VM
> up and running if you want any persistence.

This is a little cumbersome using virt-manager, but with GNOME Boxes this
situation is much simpler. You just point it at the ISO image you have,
and it auto-generates a kickstart file to do a fully automated install of
a desktop system without needing any real interaction on the part of the
user. Via the magic of libosinfo, Boxes will eventually support this for
any modern Linux OS. This is a more flexible approach for desktop usage
than relying on the distro vendor to have provided suitably configured
images IMHO.

Daniel