nova.rpc.amqp ValueError: too many values to unpack

Ask Stack askstack at yahoo.com
Tue May 8 23:13:18 UTC 2012

Instances can start on the first nova node (controller) fine.

I am having problems with the second nova computing node.
"nova-manage service list" shows "nova-compute" have smilies on both nodes.
"euca-describe-images" shows the correct images.
however when I launch an instance, nova's compute log shows

TRACE nova.rpc.amqp   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/nova/image/glance.py", line 86, in pick_glance_api_server
TRACE nova.rpc.amqp     host, port_str = host_port.split(':')
TRACE nova.rpc.amqp ValueError: too many values to unpack
TRACE nova.rpc.amqp

This is on a fedora 16 environment. Both computers have the same rpm packages.
python-glance-2012.1-4.fc16.noarch
python-novaclient-2012.1-1.fc16.noarch
python-nova-2012.1-3.fc16.noarch
openstack-nova-2012.1-3.fc16.noarch