[Openstack] centos 6 images

Scott Moser smoser at ubuntu.com
Wed May 23 12:51:35 UTC 2012

On Tue, 22 May 2012, Jason Ford wrote:

> Scott,
>
> If you need someone to test your changes, I would be happy to do it. Please just give me some basic instructions on how to put it in place and I will get it working.
>
> As for your request for comments/features, personally I would like to see the following parts done initially:

I'm not sure of whether or not these things work in the status of these
things in fedora/RHEL.  I suspect that all below is true other than
disk space resize.  However, the following is true for ubuntu:

> - hostname set to instance name

 - hostname is set to whatever is in local-hostname of the metadata
   service. I think that actually does correlate to 'name' in the nova
   launch api.

> - disk space resize to flavor size

 - cloud-init runs resize2fs on the root partition on start up.  However,
   if you have a partition table on the disk, right now, that relies upon
   initramfs code delivered in cloud-initramfs-growroot [1] to grow the
   partition , and tell the kernel to re-read the partition while the
   filesystem is not mounted (otherwise you have to reboot).

   [1] https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cloud-initramfs-tools

> - ssh-key pull

 - cloud-init does that by default to the default user and adds it to the
   root user's .ssh/authorized_keys, with a message that says "you need to
   login as <the-configured-user>"

> - report a random password for root user (or default user) if this is possible

 - by default, cloud-init does not set a password for a user.  However, it
   can be told to via configuration (cloud-config in the image or passed
   in via userdata).  That looks like:
     password: RANDOM
   or
     chpasswd: