Status of openstack in f18?

Pádraig Brady P at draigBrady.com
Thu Nov 8 23:55:05 UTC 2012

On 11/08/2012 08:16 PM, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
> On 11/08/2012 04:29 PM, Pádraig Brady wrote:

>>> Hm, my mistake then, sorry. I guess I got too focused on the documentation
>>> section because that's where I noticed the installation instructions link.
>>
>> I've updated he Docs section to be less confusing.
>
> The Docs section isn't that confusing I was just a bit daft :)
>
>>> The test page mentions additional repositories. Are these still
>>> required/recommended or should I disregard these and instead use whatever
>>> is actually in Fedora 18 now? Given that the beta is around the corner it
>>> would probably be better to test the "out of the box" experience.
>>> Are there any known issues left that require these repos?
>>
>> It's best to use the Fedora 18 repos now.
>> I've updated the test day instructions.
>> Note you should be using the Fedora 18 updates-testing
>> repo at this stage.
>> There are currently fixes there for openstack-utils
>> and scsi-target-utils at least.
>
> So I reinstalled and tried again without the libvirt and selinux
> workarounds mentioned in the test page as these bugs apparently are fixed
> in the latest packages.
>
> I ran into two problems:
>
> 1. Bug 868357 prevents openstack-demo-install from working

Thanks for updating that bug with info.
I'll look at fixing this tomorrow.

> Basically keystone doesn't start and after applying the workaround
> mentioned in that bug there still seem to be issues possibly related to the
> fact that the keystone data couldn't be properly setup during the install.
>
> I shut down all services, wiped /var/lib/mysql/*, then started mysql and
> ran openstack-demo-install again. This time things worked and I could do
> "cinder list" on the shell without error and create a volume through the
> horizon interface.

Yes openstack-demo-install is designed to be restartable

> 2. Quantum is registered as the networking service but not configured
>
> The test page says the quantum setup is optional but this is not the case.
> According to https://lists.launchpad.net/openstack/msg17285.html if the
> quantum service is enabled (and it is apparently after running
> openstack-demo-install) then horizon uses it. Since it isn't configured
> this doesn't work though.
>
> The "Test Cases" section also seems to assume the use of the nova-network
> service which conflicts with what the openstack-demo-install has set up.
>
> So it looks like either the demo install script must be adapted to enable
> nova-network rather than quantum or the manual configuration of quantum has
> to be declared mandatory.
>
> Since a network *must* be specified when creating a VM in horizon no VMs
> can be created at this point.

That was the bug fixed (supposedly) by the openstack-utils
update I referenced above. What has probably happened
is that you were just ahead of your fedora mirror
(which was one of the reasons we were using a side repo for the test days).
Anyway you can update openstack-demo-install manually like:

rpm -Uvh http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org//packages/openstack-utils/2012.2/6.fc18/noarch/openstack-utils-2012.2-6.fc18.noarch.rpm

thanks,
Pádraig.