cloud-init package dependencies

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Fri Nov 9 20:20:44 UTC 2012

On Fri, Nov 09, 2012 at 11:28:49AM -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 09, 2012 at 11:16:21AM -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> > cloud-init pulls in some, um, not exactly minimal stuff. python-cheetah?
> > (which then brings in, for example, freetype...)
> and python-imaging, and python-pygments.

All told, cloud-init and dependencies add 50MB to the on-disk size of the
current F18 cloud image I'm working on.

Graphics and templating languages. Plus xfsprogs. And a large amount of
selinux stuff. And libcgroup, which despite its name is a collection of
(somewhat klunky) utilities for something actually handled better by
systemd.

Cloud-init is nifty, but this seems like a kitchen sink of random stuff.
Opinions, everyone? Should this go in the EC2 cloud image? Should it go in
the downloadable one? Should we offer options? Should we have something more
lightweight which just pulls in ssh keys?