cloud-init package dependencies

Garrett Holmstrom gholms at fedoraproject.org
Tue Nov 13 22:59:50 UTC 2012

On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 2:34 PM, Florian La Roche
<Florian.LaRoche at gmx.net> wrote:
>> All told, cloud-init and dependencies add 50MB to the on-disk size of the
>> current F18 cloud image I'm working on.

Ow.  That's a lot more than I expected.  :-\

It's precisely the fact that it's built into the image that makes
cloud-init so useful.  You only get one user-data file when you run an
instance, so if we remove cloud-init from the image and make using it
a multi-step bootstrapping process then there isn't much point in
offering it at all.  Maybe there's a way to make it more modular.

> There should be a minimal version of it, whatever the packaging solution then
> looks like...

Right now it relies on a config file to list what plugins it's
supposed to run since said list of plugins can differ by distro, but I
bet one could make it try to compute the list automatically by looking
at all of the plugins.  Once it can do that, making it run with the
additional plugins should actually be quite straightforward.