cloud-init package dependencies

jvlcek jvlcek at redhat.com
Wed Nov 14 22:44:59 UTC 2012

On 11/14/2012 01:02 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 05:05:42PM -0800, Garrett Holmstrom wrote:
>>> What about a service that runs before cloud-init itself, scans the user-data
>>> for needed plugins, and then yum-installs them if they're missing?
>> That isn't going to work for every case, but it sounds like a great
>> "90%" starting point.  Maybe a little script could read user-data, and
>> if it contains cloud-config data, the script reads that and takes
>> action on the bits that it has to.
>>
>> What do you folks think?  Anyone itching to give it a try?
> I can take a stab at it. Any suggestions for how we should split up the
> cloud-init package?

Having a service that scans the user-data and then attempts
to  yum installing needed bits at boot time might be problematic.
It might guess wrong at the needed packages, it might not have
the access to expected repos...

Another approach might be to create a very simple cloud-init that
only acts on a user-data shell script and rely on the user to write
there own shell scripts.

This could result in a very small piece of code that only does
what the user provided script does and the user should know best
what they want to do.

This would keep the solution small and simple and, I could be wrong,
but I think this approach could satisfy the needs of many users.

Just a thought.
   Joe