FYI: A fedora 17 cloud image

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Nov 16 14:31:40 UTC 2012

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 03:12:39PM +0100, Dave Neary wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> On 11/16/2012 01:59 PM, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> >appliance-creator + kickstart, as per the README in the same directory:
> >
> >   http://berrange.fedorapeople.org/images/2012-11-15/
>
> I wasn't aware of thincrust & appliance tools until your email -
> they look cool!
>
> What, if any, is the relationship between these and oz? Does Oz use
> them? Or are they totally independent and kind of competing
> technologies? Or do they do different things?

They're completely different from Oz really, except that both can
use kickstart files for their automation.

appliance-creator is basically running yum in a chroot
and handling the kickstart config itself.

Oz boots KVM and runs the *real* installer in a guest,
providing it with the kickstart.

Due to its architecture, appliance-creator is doomed to only
ever supporting Fedora, where as Oz can support every OS that
is capable of running inside KVM.

Daniel