OpenStack status

Robyn Bergeron rbergero at redhat.com
Wed Oct 3 07:58:10 UTC 2012

On 09/28/2012 08:13 AM, Pádraig Brady wrote:
> On 09/28/2012 03:33 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 12:20:08PM +0100, Pádraig Brady wrote:
>>> == OpenStack Installer ==
>>> Derek Higgins has been working on an
>>> [https://github.com/derekhiggins/os-installer OpenStack installer],
>>> that supports distributed and scripted installs.
>>
>> THis is pretty awesome. I was just talking to Dan Walsh about this
>> yesterday
>> -- it'd be cool if we could package this up in a useful way in Fedora to
>> make deploying an initial setup trivial.
>
> That's the plan.
>
> Note there is already the openstack-demo-install
> in the openstack-utils package which can be used
> to install all OpenStack packages on a single node
> and connect them with a default configuration.
>
> os-installer will be more general though, and I
> expect will replace the demo-install script with
> scripted config to do the same.
What's the fundamental difference between these scripts and devstack
(http://www.devstack.org) - is it just that devstack normally pulls from
the devel repositories? It looks like it can also be configured to pull
from stable releases as well.

Mostly curiosity, though I did notice today that Devstack directly
references F16, and that their FAQ states that Quantum isn't fully
supported because of lack of OpenVSwitch packages - of course, that was
F16, but that changed in F17...  but I do wonder if that specific point
deters people from trying devstack out with the Fedora configuration, or
even stops people from looking more closely at Fedora's implementation
in ways aside from doing so with Devstack.

-robyn