default JEOS images [was Re: removing NetworkManager from cloud image?]

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Thu Oct 11 19:31:57 UTC 2012

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 03:08:30PM -0400, David Nalley wrote:
> So I promise I'll shut up after this (really)

No no -- please go on whenever you have anything it say.

[read, read, read.... nod head]
> If I am running a public cloud - I have my own magic stuff for things
> like password resets (not everyone uses cloud-init), or setting ip
> addresses, or perhaps (and this is more common than you would believe)
> use a custom kernel.

If a really tiny image is important, I can definitely see that -- the kernel
rpm is the biggest thing in the image.

> Both of these have the same issue - they need JEOS, but JEOS is
> defined slightly differently for each environment. How do you get
> there? Well you could take the Fedora image run it, customize it to
> your liking, snapshot it, and then use that disk image as your 'fedora
> jeos image'. However that's awfully manual - and to boot there's a new

People *do* do this and want to do this, though.

But, we also want to support Boxgrinder, Oz, etc. That's another front,
basically.

> 800lb gorilla in the room, and for that a truly minimal, vanilla
> install that works is a good thing - I'd be willing to bet that a
> Fedora EC2 image gets far more use than some of our spins. Everyone

Yes, that's a very good bet -- by something like a million times. :)