ec2 images and grub2

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Fri Oct 12 16:54:32 UTC 2012

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 06:36:08PM +0200, Alan Pevec wrote:
> We should probably rename and obsolete that page, it was for F16 when
> we didn't have publicly hosted Fedora image we could use with
> OpenStack.
> For F17 danpb created and provided Fedora image, updated instructions
> are here https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Getting_started_with_OpenStack_on_Fedora_17#Register_an_Image

I think Daniel just basically did what the earlier instructions said and
made it available. (Note that the F17 instructions point toward an F16
image.) That's a great start, but now we want to move to making it official.

> > Is there anything I'm missing here, and, what's the best way forward?
> > (Grub in everything? Grub in images on mirrors, skip it in ec2?)
> I'd keep separate ec2 and non-ec2 Fedora cloud image, like
> http://cloud-images.ubuntu.com/precise/current/
> kickstarts could have shared includes but leave them separate to allow
> small differences like this bootloader.

Yeah, we want to do something like that anyway, at the very minimum because
having a "launch" button is very slick.

Another consideration is that grub2 is not tiny. Doing something to automate
syslinux installation (and figuring out updates with kernel updates?) is
another path to think about.