on the bigger image idea [was Re: removing NetworkManager from cloud image?]

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Fri Oct 12 19:41:01 UTC 2012

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 02:55:05PM -0400, R P Herrold wrote:
> >>I've also heard some demand for a _bigger_ image -- "developer
> >>desktop in the cloud", but I think that's a future step. That
> >>one almost certainly *would* include NetworkManager.
> >** Really** ?
> no public reply to my expresion of dis-belief, and private
> "atta-boy's" for being willing to challenge that assertion.
>
> Threading is messed up in the on-line archives that I reviewed, and
> the source was not expresly attributed, but I _think_ this was
> Matthew, setting up either a straw-man, or forwarding content from
> people not participating here
>
> What is the case FOR fatter images, and by whom?

Not a strawman. This one comes from a university group who would like to
offer a cloud desktop system to each user. Right now done with a shared
system with NX, but it's planned to give per-student machines with full root
access using OpenStack. In that case, they can easily build their own
images, and it's me speculating that it'd be useful to provide a more
complete base image.

However, I also can see, in the future, a "try Fedora desktop in the cloud"
web page, with an big shiny launch button and automatic connection via
noVNC. Here, there's plenty of sense in making it look as much like the
desktop spin as possible, as that's the point.