Devil's Advocate, waqs: (prior item was untitled)

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Fri Oct 12 21:07:43 UTC 2012

> However, I also can see, in the future, a "try Fedora
> desktop in the cloud" web page, with an big shiny launch
> button and automatic connection via noVNC. Here, there's
> plenty of sense in making it look as much like the desktop
> spin as possible, as that's the point.

Let me play Devil's Advocate for a bit ...

MVC was invented for a reason -- to let the display head be
close to the human content producer and consumer, to let the
application logic live in a DC in between, and protect the
durable store behind that yet further.

Using both etherpad and then, obby as collaborative meeting
notes solutions, really highlighted the costs, and the
benefits, respectively, of getting it 'wrong' and 'right'.
Etherpad uses Javascript locally to do remote editting; obby
displays locally, and sends small diffs across the wire to
edit a single common master, and to back receive updates of
such.  Huge difference in usability

Just because one CAN do something does not mean one SHOULD do
something; A desktop should be, well, at the desktop in the
usual case.  Most of the sysadmins here remember the pain of
PC-Anywhere, or VNC over limited bandwidth links.  Handing out
a poor experience is not a win

Fat bandwidth (and of course, Jedi mind tricks) can paper
over the problem to some extent, but, at the end of the day,
one will be fighting with getting sound working natively
rather than through some flash layer or such (Adobe's
collaborative meeting solution), and 'near real time, no
latency' stuff will still give you fits and support load.

'Near real time, no latency' describes a Desktop, I think

In either event, the Agile development principle of solving
the closest problem and leaving the future to become less
misty and for another day, is probably a good one to be guided
by

[I know you are acting as an architect, but this feels like an
implementation detail -- get back into your drafting room,
Frank Lloyd ;) ]

Have a great weekend

-- Russ herrold