do we want `less` and `man` in the default cloud image?

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Fri Oct 19 15:58:00 UTC 2012

Continuing a discussion with gholms on IRC. There's a general question of
how minimal we want the cloud image to be overall. I'd like to make it
reasonably small (where reasonable is some hand-wavy value), but we're not
ever going to be a stripped down TinyLinux or Damn Small Linux.

Garrett makes the point that the Fedora images should "feel like Fedora". We
can probably discuss what exactly that means, but, okay, I can see that as a
basic principle to weigh against "as tiny as possible". He also mentioned
earlier that he has gotten feedback that people like to have man pages
available. Right now, we're shipping about 6.2MB (on-disk) of man pages,
but, um, no man browser. Adding man would add about 8.8M on-disk, as it
pulls in groff and less. (Less is relatively tiny -- groff is the big
thing.) *

I really like having less around. I pretty much miss it on every system
where it isn't installed. And installing all those man pages with no way to
look at them seems silly.

Thoughts? Non-binding votes?

* Footnote: I see that groff is split into groff-base and groff, with the
former being "only necessary parts of groff formatting system which are
required to display manual pages, and the groff's default display device
(PostScript)". But, man requires less, and less requires the main groff
package.  So if we fix that, total impact is 4.6MB.