tool for image building and update

Andy Grimm agrimm at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 14:34:44 UTC 2012

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 10:24 AM, Tomas Karasek <tomas.karasek at cern.ch> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am looking at possibilities of automation of disk image creation (installation) and update.
>
> I ran across tools from Aeolus:
> imagefactory - http://www.aeolusproject.org/imagefactory.html
> and Oz - http://www.aeolusproject.org/oz.html
>
> I noticed Oz is used in Heat too.
> Is there some other tool I could look at?

There are lots of tools for image building.  Oz is a bit different
from most others in that it actually spawns a VM to do an install,
while most other tools simply use a loopback mounted filesystem.

BoxGrinder would probably be your next choice on Fedora.  BoxGrinder
uses python-imgcreate, but wraps it in a bunch of ruby code where some
of the postinstall image tweaking happens.  (Personally, I use
ami-creator, which is a tiny python script that just subclasses from
python-imgcreate and implements a few functions to do the necessary
tweaks... no need for ruby here.)

Andy