RDO - OpenStack

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Apr 16 14:04:03 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 06:04:49AM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 06:26:14PM -0700, Pádraig Brady wrote:
> > For OpenStack users please see the new RDO site at http://openstack.redhat.com/
> > supporting the community of people using and deploying OpenStack
> > on Red Hat and Red Hat-based platforms.
>
> Can you explain a bit how this fits in with / impacts Fedora? What will
> happen to OpenStack packaging in Fedora and EPEL?

There is a FAQ item about this, but it is woefully short on detail :-(

  http://openstack.redhat.com/Frequently_Asked_Questions#What_does_RDO_mean_for_OpenStack_on_Fedora.3F

Basically there is no change to current Fedora practice. To expand on this,
Fedora will continue to ship whatever the latest OpenStack release is, at
the time when each Fedora release cycle hits its development freeze date.

RDO will not attempt to duplicate that. RDO will only distribute Fedora
packages for OpenStack versions which are not already included in the
corresponding Fedora release in question.

So for example, Fedora 18 ships with Folsom, Fedora 19 will ship with Grizzly,
and Fedora 20 will (likely) ship Havana.

Thus RDO will provide Grizzly packages for Fedora 18 only, and Havana packages
for Fedora 18 [1] & Fedora 19. RDO will not attempt to provide Grizzly for
Fedora 19, nor Havana for Fedora 20, since that would be duplicating official
Fedora packages.

So RDO will complement what Fedora already provides for OpenStack.

As for what this means for EPEL:

  http://openstack.redhat.com/Frequently_Asked_Questions#What_does_RDO_mean_for_OpenStack_for_EPEL.3F

Basically this obsoletes/replaces what we previously did in EPEL. The
rationale for this is that EPEL absolutely hated it when we pushed new
major versions of OpenStack into EPEL previously. RDO improves on this
by allowing for multiple parallel streams to be provided, allowing
users to pick whichever stream is best for their needs.

Regards,
Daniel
[1] Unless F18 is end-of-life by then.